Quadrature encoder output


From What I Understand the rotary encoders are the same as the quadrature encoder.So the following writing I did is for understanding such a system.

Following helped me in understanding the rotary encoder,

                


The below site has good visuals and writing about the type of encoders:

http://www.anaheimautomation.com/manuals/forms/encoder-guide.php#sthash.YJMaBtVs.dpbs

So points that I feel must be remembered while doing so are(These where obtained from a PDF material I got from Internet regarding the various encoders  as I have no experience with these - So if the owner of the content wants me remove these please ask me so and I will be happy to do it),

Rotary encoders, also called rotary shaft encoders or rotary shaft-angle encoders.
  1. They provide rate and positioning information in servo feedback loops. 
  2. A rotary encoder can sense a number of discrete positions per revolution.
  3. The number is called points per revolution (Analogous to the steps per revolution of a stepper motor).
  4. The speed of an encoder is in units of counts per second.
  • Rotary encoders can measure the motor-shaft or lead screw angle to report position indirectly, but they can also measure the response of rotating machines directly.
  • The most popular rotary encoders are incremental optical shaft-angle encoders and the absolute optical shaft-angle encoders. 
  • There are also direct contact or brush-type and magnetic rotary encoders, but they are not as widely used in motion control systems.
  • Commercial rotary encoders are available as standard or catalog units,or they can be custom made for unusual applications or survival in extreme environments.
  • Standard rotary encoders are packaged in cylindrical cases with diameters from 1.5 to 3.5 in. Resolutions range from 50 cycles per shaft revolution to 2,304,000 counts per revolution. 
  • A variation of the conventional configuration, the hollow-shaft encoder,eliminates problems associated with the installation and shaft run-out of conventional models. Models with hollow shafts are available for mounting on shafts with diameters of 0.04 to 1.6 in. (1 to 40 mm).
If I agian come across the material I referred I will update with the name of the material.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My journey to understand business and evaluation of business - Part 2

The case where I lost half my worth due to detour from my ideal path of buffet-munger way.

Buck converter Basics Notes for Designing and Implementation - PART 2 Simulation